Monday, April 9, 2012

Birthday, Among Other Things...

My husband took me to see Titanic in 3D! For those of you who haven't seen the movie, and I can't imagine anyone who hasn't, here is a brief recap of the film.














It was still just as intense as before, with a little bit more footage added. The part where the boat split, which wasn't focused on in the original film, was beyond intense. They added a scene there. I swear, my heart stopped when I saw the ship crack down the side. WOW.

We also saw Wrath of the Titans, also in 3D. There are no pictures or I would have shared them. I know, I can already hear the comments. "You saw what?" If you're as interested in Greek Mythology as I am, then you can appreciate my premise. But allow me to assure you that I do not believe in Greek gods, or Titans. I find the stories interesting, but they are just that...stories. Zeus's son, Persius, who killed the Cracken, just wanted to be a normal guy, a dad raising his ten year old son. That was all. But of course, something happened that prevented him from this. It wasn't the best movie in the world, but it was definitely 3D worthy. Oddly enough, it made me long for the old Clash of the Titans movie, with the mechanical owl, and Medusa, and the lousy special effects, which were great back then. A classic is a classic, no matter how lame it may appear when compared to newer movies with better special effects.

All in all, I had a nice birthday weekend. I had dinner out twice. I ate way too much. Then, we went out to Applebee's after Easter Services yesterday. I broke down and got comfort food, Three Cheese Chicken Penne, which I didn't eat all of, so I'll be having what's left for dinner tonight. After that, I'm going to have to go back on salad. I've eaten way too much in the last week!

Easter was nice. I compromised and wore a more colorful dress. I told Doug the only reason he didn't want me to wear the black dress was because he didn't want the new guys he was training on the screens at church to think I was emo. He laughed and tried to assure me this wasn't the case at all. I think he's lying... *wink* Services were lovely. Unfortunately, I was very tired, and my Double Shot wasn't working. I wanted to concentrate on the service, but I spent most of it fighting to stay awake, despite the fact that I got more than enough sleep the night before.

As for my father-in-law, I don't really want to talk about it. I don't know what's being done. Doug and I only get second hand information from his mother, and she does well to remember half of what the doctors and nurses tell her. I fill in the blanks as much as possible. For example, when she says something like, “They gave John a medicine in his IV that started with this letter.” I’ll run through the list of meds that start with that letter, and she will stop me when I get to the correct one. It’s like medical mad libs with her. We also found out that my fnl got one of his restraints loose and hit a nurse! My mnl told us two days after it happened! It was one of the nurses we like, a young man named Peter. So you can see that we get bits of pieces of the information on my fnl's prognosis over the course of two days, and some of the updates may not even apply to what's going on with him now. I feel bad that Doug and I can’t be there 24/7, but we have our own lives in the middle of all of this chaos. The whole situation is just stressing me out. I don't mean to seem stroppy. I'm just at a loss for words. It's difficult to watch because our hands are tied. I know it's extremely difficult on Doug, seeing his father like this. Especially today. 

My fnl had a very bad day when we visited this morning. He was crying. He didn't know who we were. The nurse kept asking him what hurt. I wanted to bloody scream because I know that he cannot provide her with an answer. I am in no way upset with the nurse. She was trying to do her job by taking care of the patient, my fnl. I guarantee she has no idea that my fnl has dementia because my mnl told them he had "mental problems." I have mental problems. I have OCD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, both of which are mental problems. There's a vast difference between mental problems and dementia. If someone is asking me what hurts, I can provide them with an answer. My fnl couldn't even speak properly when Doug and I visited him a day before the surgery! And yes, I'm getting frustrated. That's why I wanted to throw an all out fit because he can't speak for himself. That's why I didn't want to talk about it, but I ended up going there anyway. This whole thing is stressing me out. And that's probably why I nearly fainted on the way to the elevator. My apologies for being on the whinge.

Right now, nothing has changed. My fnl is still on the vent. He has undergone a tracheotomy or tracheostomy, choose whichever one is correct, which is supposed to help wean him off the vent, but they haven't even tried yet. He's still getting feeds, but not through an NG tube. My mnl doesn't know if it's IV feeds or if it's through some other means, perhaps a g-button. She just said, "It goes directly into his stomach." No explanation. No elaboration. My fnl is still undergoing dialysis sporadically. They check his creatinine levels to determine whether or not he needs dialysis that day. That's the only thing I know for sure. That, and the fact that he's not showing any real improvement.

That's about it. I apologize for the fact that this post ended on such a bad note. I have several days worth of writing on deck, and I must get to work on it straightaway. Then, I'm going to take a nice long hot bubble bath and go to bed early.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment