Monday, August 15, 2011

My Life with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

I wish it were as easy as the picture below...

How are we gonna clean up all this mess?

It’s easy! Just tear this wallpaper off!


mindovermatterzine reblogged mrdthgrvs:
My Life with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

caffeinatedbunny:

TW: Mental illness, shaming, obsessive-compulsive rituals

Lately, I’ve been seeing more and more OCD-shaming and jokes at the expense of those who have it. This is certainly nothing new, and I’ve rather gotten used to it by this point. However, I need to say (or write) something. This is my forum to do so.

OCD is not funny. I have it as well as Generalized Anxiety Disorder. The two often go hand in hand. I was diagnosed with both at the age of eight.

OCD is not an appropriate way for you to say that you just like things kept tidy or that you like to sort your crayons by color. OCD is not something to joke about on your T-shirt by saying “I have CDO-or OCD with the letters put in the right order”. OCD is not something VH1 should make a show about.

OCD is absolutely needing to flip the light switch just right so your mother doesn’t die or your plane doesn’t crash. OCD is absolutely needing to touch things with both hands or a certain number of times (4 in my case) so you don’t choke at your next meal or so you don’t end up alone. OCD is knowing that these thoughts are completely ridiculous but also being so afraid that you end up doing these ridiculous rituals just in case.

My mental illness is not funny. It does not belong on your television or your “hilarious” T-shirt. My mental illness has cut down on my sleep because I have to spend 10 minutes making sure I set my cell phone just right on my bedside table.

The thing is, I have MILD OCD. My experiences are on the lower end of the spectrum. I have never missed an event because of the need to do rituals or been sent into a panic attack because I couldn’t complete a ritual.

So maybe you should think before you post that joke about OCD on your dash or throw on that T-shirt. Maybe you should think so you don’t remind someone like me of how much their illness can limit them.

I’m not asking for your pity. I’ve made great strides in my recovery, and my OCD really only flares up now during times of great stress.

I’m asking for a little bit of consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment